Job Title : Lead Carpenter
Reports to: Project Manager
Oxbow Design Build Cooperative is a worker-owned company that offers architectural design,
construction services, and millwork for residential and commercial projects. We are a values
driven company that prioritizes sustainable and ethical construction. We use local and
environmentally friendly materials as much as possible, and produce buildings that meet the
highest energy performance standards. As a cooperative, we value all of our workers highly and
provide a path to ownership of the company with equal participation in company governance and
This is a position at a growing and successful worker-owned cooperative. We are looking to hire
a skilled lead carpenter with strong trim work experience to provide guidance and supervision to
the project team involved in construction projects. The lead carpenter’s responsibilities include
assigning and explaining tasks to the project team, hands on work for tasks requiring more skill,
and regularly inspecting work done by the other site workers to ensure that it meets acceptable
standards. You should also be able to help the project manager solve project-related problems.
All the details:
● Ensure all workers and subcontractors are working in a safe manner and using appropriate
● Assigning and explaining tasks to the other site workers.
● Checking all work on site.
● Assisting the project management team in ordering materials needed for projects.
● Supervising the company’s site workers, unskilled and semi-skilled workers, and
● Performing all carpentry duties required, including both rough and finish carpentry.
● Ensure all work conforms to applicable building codes.
● Maintaining accurate records of all work done by the project team.
● Effectively communicate with project manager, office manager, site/shop workers, vendors,
other contractors, and clients
● Provide schedule related updates to the project management team.
● Report to the Project Manager for all issues
● Be adaptable and capable of keeping up with quick, frequent changes
● Provide excellent customer service
● Work under time constraints to meet specific timelines
● Ensure attention to detail and keen sense of safeguarding other people’s property and
● Proactively communicate job site conditions and concerns that may or are affecting
completion of the job to the appropriate person
● Local travel to job sites, municipal offices, vendors, etc required.
● Follow all CDC, state, and local guidance for COVID-19 best practices
- 15+ years site carpentry experience, frame to finish with an emphasis on trim
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proven experience in all aspects of residential remodeling and construction.
- Sound knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
- The ability to safely operate power tools.
- The ability to read blueprints.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
● LSR-Supervisor certification
● OSHA 10
● Thorough knowledge of applicable building codes in MA
● Lifting up to 50 lbs, unassisted
● Lifting from 51 lbs +, assisted
● Sustained periods of standing, sitting, walking, bending, ladder/scaffold work, and kneeling
● Full-time, starting at $30-37/hr, depending on certification/licensure. Pay is subject to regular
review and raises.
● Company tools
● Paid time off
● Mileage reimbursement (if not in company vehicle)
● Ownership track for equal profit sharing within 2 years
● Professional development opportunities